If you are not taking advantage of the sauna at your gym YOU ARE MISSING OUT! I use the sauna as a treat at the end of ALL my workouts and I always enjoy my 15 to 20 minutes of sweaty relaxation!
If you don’t know what a sauna is, it is a small room specifically designed to heat up to very high temperatures. There are two distinct types of saunas: wet and dry. The wet saunas are more commonly known as “steam rooms”. Temperatures in wet saunas are lower than dry saunas. For dry saunas, temperatures can reach up to 250°F but the ambient moisture is lower so that the skin doesn’t burn.
Simply put, if you don’t like a lot of heat the sauna is not for you. However, if you can stand it for about 15 minutes at a time, you’re in for the following benefits:
- Saunas are a great way to get your heart pumping. It’s like mild exercise and you don’t even have to move!
- Great for getting rid of acne. Acne is caused by oil building up in your pores and the heat helps you sweat it all out thereby clearing your skin.
- Saunas boost your energy. It really gets the blood pumping!
- Great workout recovery. Sweating helps your body eliminate toxins and also helps to relax your muscles which is great after a strenuous workout.
- The sauna makes you look younger. As we age, our skin gets less elastic, and more likely to hold onto dead skin cells. A few sessions in the sauna every week is magic for your skin!
- The #1 reason why I love the sauna is because it lowers my stress level! When you’re sitting in a hot sauna, it’s hard to concentrate on anything else other than your immediate environment. Spending time in a sauna is like meditation: It clears your mind of all the little things that are bothering you while you’re inside. When you emerge, your mind has been “rebooted,” letting you start fresh with a new focus on what you have to do for the rest of the day. That’s why I love it so much!
I love anything that is considered wellness when I don’t have to do much so the sauna is right up my alley. A lot of people don’t want to go in the sauna for fear of messing up their hair. I say, SCREW THAT! Whatever allows me to relax and take a few moments for myself i’m all for it!
Have you been in a sauna lately? How do you like it?